All of this Phillip Lim for Target craziness has got me thinking about the kind of role a good bag plays in my wardrobe.
I was lucky enough to snag the Large Tote in black and I quite like it. It has a structured look and feel to it and is a good size.
But the best part was the price at just $54.99, which to me feels like a deal, because I usually spend a little more on bags, and I go as far as to call them my "closet investments."
A really long time ago I remember reading a thread on the Purse Forum where they were talking about fashion bloggers and how many designer bags they seem to own.
A comment from one user in that thread has stuck with me since then.
I was lucky enough to snag the Large Tote in black and I quite like it. It has a structured look and feel to it and is a good size.
But the best part was the price at just $54.99, which to me feels like a deal, because I usually spend a little more on bags, and I go as far as to call them my "closet investments."
A really long time ago I remember reading a thread on the Purse Forum where they were talking about fashion bloggers and how many designer bags they seem to own.
A comment from one user in that thread has stuck with me since then.
It said: "Why does this girl carry a Prada bag and then brag about a blazer she found at Old Navy?"
This comment didn't offend me or anything, but as a budget fashionista, it did make me realize that I am the type of person who carries a pricey bag while also rocking an outfit from Target. Or Old Navy. Or Winners.
In other words, I'm a bag lady.
In other words, I'm a bag lady.
For some, their closet investment might be shoes. I follow a few lovely ladies on Instagram with a very expensive shoe collection.
Or jewelry. I ogle the amazing J.Crew jewel collections of some of my Insta-friends.
For others, maybe their entire closet consists of investments!
For me, shoes wouldn't work because I am incredibly clumsy and bash my toes off of things on a daily basis. Most of my heels and flats are scuffed, and all of my boots get worn out because lets face it, I live in Canada. Would I love a pair of Valentino Rockstud pumps? Yes! Would I destroy them? Most likely.
And while I love jewelry, I can't help but buy the Groopdealz version of designer pieces because they look so good and cost so little, because they are so trendy and go in and out of style so fast, and because I get bored of jewelry quickly. I know that if I spent $100+ on a necklace and only wore it a couple of times, I would hate myself. Don't get me wrong, I do have the odd pricey piece (eg: J.Crew pave link bracelet) and a few Michael Kors watches...but I feel they are timeless.
Finally, while I do love to go into J.Crew and touch the cashmere sweaters, or Banana Republic and feel the nice material of their blouses, I just can't convince myself to pay for them! My cat loves to put holes in my clothes, I spill things on or near myself frequently, and although it may perhaps be TMI...my weight fluctuates too much to ever buy an expensive pair of pants because within 10 days they might not fit me.
So, in the end, having nice purses and bags makes the most sense for me.
I take good care of them, I have enough of them that I can switch between them so they don't get worn out, and overall they just feel like a good investment for me personally.
This is not to say I only buy expensive purses. If I had every one I wanted I would be homeless. In fact, I have lots in my closet that are under $100 or even under $50 (Target Merona satchel for $40...yes please!) and obviously there are way more expensive bags to be had out there than the ones I have, but I really don't think my clothes have to be as pricey as my bags.
This is not to say I only buy expensive purses. If I had every one I wanted I would be homeless. In fact, I have lots in my closet that are under $100 or even under $50 (Target Merona satchel for $40...yes please!) and obviously there are way more expensive bags to be had out there than the ones I have, but I really don't think my clothes have to be as pricey as my bags.
All that said, here are a few examples of my faux pas:
Sweater: $30 (Winners)
Pants: $30 (Winners)
Shoes: $40 (Winners)
Bag: $600 second hand (Louis Vuitton)
Shirt: $18 (Gap Factory)
Jeans: $16 (American Eagle)
Sandals: $5 (Old Navy)
Bag: $600 second hand (Louis Vuitton)
Shirt: $29 (Marshalls)
Jeans: $40 (Steinmart)
Shoes: $60 (Sole Society)
Bag: $428 (Marc by Marc Jacobs)
Shirt: $29 (Winners)
Jeans: $30 (Bluenotes)
Shoes: $19 (Target)
Bag: $428 (Marc by Marc Jacobs)
Shirt: $19 (Target)
Jeans: $29 (Gap Factory)
Shoes $19 (Target)
Bag: $280 (Kate Spade)
So, call me a weirdo if you will, anonymous Purse Form user, for I shall continue to carry my expensive bags with my not-so-expensive wardrobe.
What is your closet investment?
What is your closet investment?
Happy Hump Day.

This is a great post. Since I've gotten more involved in the fashion blogging scene, I sometimes find myself rolling my eyes at the amount of money women spend on clothing. But I guess that's not fair because I'll be the first to admit that I'm frugal to a fault with my wardrobe. BUT, with that being said, handbags are definitely splurge worthy to me. I haven't received a nice designer hand bag in years, but I do have a few Dooney & Bourke, Coach, and Juicy Couture bags. But a good handbag will last you for years and I can appreciate that. All of my bags were gifts; I just can't seem to bring myself to spend my own money on expensive bags. Going back to the frugal thing, when I see $600 on a handbag all I can see is my rent money in your hand, haha. However, I have quite the collection of expensive sunglasses and I know some people don't see the point in that. So, I say to-may-to, to-mah-to and to each their own. Beautiful bags, dear. I do enjoy admiring them. :)
ReplyDeleteFrugal to a fault! Yes!
DeleteI'm glad you have gotten some as gifts! I have a really nice Michael Kors that I got from my mom as a grad gift but besides that I haven't received any pricey bags as gifts ever. So I just save up and buy them for myself and because I have to do that I think it makes me appreciate having it even more because I had to earn it!
Thanks for the great comment as always friend!
I LOVE Bags and I'm realizing that I would rather invest in them than keep buying new ones all the time that don't last. Sometimes I just want to try a trendy bag for a couple months then donate it or give it to my little sister, but I really really really want a quilted Chanel bag, Phillip Lim (and the real expensive ones not the Target collaboration) and a Louis Vuitton! I believe in quality over quantity but I am also a budget budget budget person! I usually only shop sales or go thrifting to find higher quality clothes!
ReplyDeleteI completely agree Rachel and I am the same way! Always looking for sales. My city isn't great for thrifting but the odd time I have found great things!
DeleteI would love a Chanel someday too. I think every girl needs one!
Great post! I think it's important to recognize the reality of your lifestyle v. whatever everyone else thinks is best. For me, I'm starting to appreciate quality over quantity...but that doesn't mean I won't snag those J.Crew-inspired mirror pumps from Target! I just can't justify spending hundreds on a shoe I probably won't wear forever. That being said, I've been known to spend quite a bit on shoes & accessories. I just think it's easier to invest in accessories. I'm still learning though, and trying to stay within a reasonable budget. I love Céline bags, but right now I can't justify spending thousands on a purse! Maybe I'll never be able to do that haha, but I definitely love my similar style purse from Coach! It's a great leather bag that I know I'll use forever. I don't know. I think investment pieces are so personal, but overall I definitely think it's important to know when to splurge & when to save.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the fabulous comment Sara! I am glad you got the gist of what I was trying to say...I'm definitely going to keep living within my budget and spending on things I think are right for me!
DeleteA Céline is at the top of my lust list right now but it's just not going to happen unless I win the lottery or strike gold haha! So I am putting it off for a while so I can save up and so that I can make sure it's still something I really want to invest in!
I love this post!! I am totally the same way - although I tend to "splurge" on shoes too, even though I shouldn't because then I am devastated when I scuff them up (which ALWAYS HAPPENS because I'm a huge klutz). I'm still saving up for my first LV, and am so jealous of yours - she is a real beaut! xoxo Danielle
ReplyDeleteHi Danielle! Thanks!
DeleteGlad someone else has the same shoe problem as me hahaha! I have a couple of nice pairs of designer shoes but they are second hand so they came a little worn already so it doesn't sting as much if I add another scuff to them!
Great post Ashton! I have MAJOR fashion ADD... with everything. So I am on the quantity over quality band wagon. There are very few pieces I love to death, I lose interest very quickly. That being said, I will cycle back to things I haven't worn in years to re-purpose into a new outfit. But overall my tendencies are to have lots of options, yet never have anything to wear of course ;). I am hoping that when I am FINALLY done with college/grad school, I will be able to focus on reforming my terrible shopping habits and start to have the time and money to invest in pieces that will last a while. I would love to start collecting designer bags that I know I will use for a long time, but that still isn't in this girl's budget. One day, sigh. I totally agree that it is hard to justify spend lots of money on clothes when your weight fluctuates a lot. I am the same way, and I just grew into a new shoes size too, ugh. Either way your bag collection is gorgeous!
ReplyDeletexo,
Ray
Four Season Fabulous