Monday, December 2, 2013

Winter Rustic Christmas on a Budget + a $620 Giveaway!

My boyfriend Devin and I moved into our new house earlier this year, so this Christmas will be our first one together at our place! We both came from living with roommates, so neither of us had any Christmas decorations. Literally not one ornament between the two of us.

Initially I had planned to only get the basics this year (like a tree, some ornaments, a wreath for the door, and maybe some lights) and then build on it next year. But then Devin told me his family is coming to stay with us for the holidays - so out the window went that plan.  With a bunch of people coming to stay with us, I wanted the house to look inviting and festive, so I had a lot of work to do. 

It's easy to get carried away buying decorations. Things add up quickly and suddenly you realize that you have no money and not much to show for what you have spent. So, rather than going out and grabbing the first things I saw off the shelves, I did my homework. I watched for sales, stuck to stores with fair prices, collected coupons and discount codes, and compared prices, and in the end I got a lot of stuff for not too much money.

Sled: Homesense - $20

As stressful as it was that I didn't own a single Christmas decoration...the thing that stressed me out even more was the fact that I didn't have a "theme" in mind.
I was initially thinking I would just go with red and silver as my starting point, until I was at Homesense one night and spied the sled in the above photo. It was so cute and rustic looking, it was only $20, and it went perfectly with the pair of really old skates that I "borrowed" from an abandoned farmhouse in Saskatchewan last year. 
And just like that, I had my theme. Winter rustic. Snow, deer heads, pinecones and tree branches, burlap, holly. All of these things, plus a touch of glitter because, well, it's me after all. 

 Deer head ornaments: Debbie Travis from Canadian Tire - $2 each

Ribbon for tree: Walmart - $3 each
24 Ornaments: Walmart - $7 each or 2 packs for $12

I find that the holiday section at Walmart reflects what China thinks our Christmas should look like, not what Christmas in Canada actually looks like. But, their prices are hard to beat, so I was selective and picked up some glittery ribbon and ornaments from there for great prices. 

Wreath hanger: Walmart: - $3
Wreath: Celebrate It from Michaels - $18 (on sale)

Michaels is having an amazing sale right now - a ton of their holiday stuff is on sale for 40% to 60% off! I got this beautiful wreath for just $18. The sale is on until December 5!
Plus, the glittery wreath hanger was just $3 at Walmart. 

Martha Stewart Tree Topper: Home Depot - $7.

Bells: Debbie Travis from Canadian Tire - $4
Owl: Debbie Travis from Canadian Tire - $4
Antler: Debbie Travis from Canadian Tire - $4
White star bell - Christmas craft sale - $2 
Boots: Target - $3
Sled: Target: $6

Skates ornament: Superstore - $4
Deer Decoration: Superstore: $8 (on sale)

Garland: Ashland from Michaels - $12.50 (on sale)

 Bell door hanger:  Celebrate It from Michaels - $7.50 (on sale)
Red Berry Garland - Ashland $7.50 (on sale)
Berry ornaments: $0.99 each (on sale)


We also shopped around a lot for our Christmas tree and ended up getting an artificial, pre-lit one for $179 at Home Depot. It is actually really realistic looking and it was easy to set up. We also bought some sticks that smell strongly of pine that you hide in the tree to give your house that "freshly cut tree" smell - even more so than that one amazing candle from Bath and Body Works!

Those are all my fab finds so far, and I still have some room left in my budget to pick up a few more things! 

Speaking of budgeting, wouldn't it be nice to have an extra $620 show up in your hands before the holidays? It could very well happen thanks to our Winter Wonderland giveaway!
Use the widget below to enter. 




Hope everyone has a fabulous week.

No comments:

Post a Comment