Thursday, December 12, 2013

Guest Post from a Christmas-aholic

It's getting down to the wire now for Christmas decorating!
If you're like me, who leaves everything to the last minute, "12 days until Christmas" might send you into a panic. If this is the case, fear not, for I have recruited my Christmas crazy long distance best friend Chrisy to calm you down and give you a few simple tips on how to pull things together and make your house look holiday ready in no time.




My name is Chrisy and I have a confession to make. I am a self-diagnosed Christmas-aholic. I have to actually restrain myself from putting up anything Christmas related before Remembrance Day (November 11).

If you know my lovely friend Ashton who writes this blog, you will realize how opposite we are. I tried to convince her that it’s ok to let her inner elf shine through and put up some Christmas décor in…NOVEMBER!! (Ps – I don’t think she’s convinced).

I don’t have a Christmas theme or anything concrete that I use year after year. Christmas décor is like fashion; it does change and after a while you get tired of what you have. I just knew that I love glitter and pretty, yet homey things, so this had to be an element in the things I chose.

This is my second Christmas in this house and there are more spaces to decorate than in my previous house so I found myself heading out again to purchase additional items. On my list, giant nutcrackers, a nativity scene, lots of Christmas balls, wreathes and really anything else that caught my eye.  


Napkin & Christmas Cracker: Superstore
I am all about affordable things due to my changing taste. I make sure to look not just in home décor places, but places like large grocery stores, Target, or other stores that sell home goods.

I found 2 giant nutcrackers for the front door; this ties together with the tiny nutcrackers on our Christmas tree. 

Nutcrackers: Superstore
Ornaments: Superstore
I found some vases and buckets to fill with Christmas balls – this is a great idea if you have extra ornaments that you want to display. 


I am obsessed with reindeer so I incorporated a couple of glitter reindeer with the more mature reindeer with tiny wreathes on their neck. 

Reindeer: Superstore // Tree arrangement: Homemade

Reindeer: Superstore
For the table, I wanted to have a little fun with the centerpiece. I chose a glittered santa boot and filled it with sparkly twigs and berries . It is the perfect addition to the dining room table. Who knows, maybe next year the santa boot can be a candy dish to hold my favorite things, like white chocolate M&M’s. 

Boot: Homesense // Sprigs: Superstore
I try to add things all throughout the house so I can feel festive no matter what room I’m in; a homemade ‘Whoville’ tree in the kitchen, poinsettias in the living room, a Christmas tree upstairs and downstairs, a nativity scene, handmade pieces from years gone by and of course candles.


Don’t take yourself too seriously when decorating. If you can pattern mix (hello polka dots and plaid), surely you can combine glittery, sparkly, festive, homey AND classy Christmas elements in your house as well. 

-Chrisy

Follow Chrisy on Instagram and on Pinterest!

2 comments:

  1. Wow Chrisy, your home is so festive! Very cute, lovely guest post. I love the nutcrackers by your door. Sadly I can't find that much variety of decorations out here in Asia :( I have my place done in white and silver this year, but I was thinking that I should add some red because, as chic as it may look currently, I think it's just lacking that little bit of extra festiveness that red brings. Your post has just confirmed this idea!! So I'm going to head to the mall today for some red decor - Wish me luck!


    Amelia @ Ducklingtoswan.com! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete