Thursday, December 19, 2013

My Kind of DIY

I'm going to be honest and say that I'm a woman of few talents. I can't sing, I can't dance, I can't play an instrument, I can't knit, I can't sew...heck I can barely wrap a Christmas present properly. What I'm trying to say is that you won't find very many crafty, do-it-yourself posts on this blog.
All that said, I am a good improviser, and this scarf that I made myself (if you can even call it "made") is about as DIY as it gets around here.


I have said again and again how much I LOVE my blanket scarf from Zara. I have nearly lived in it since the day it came in the mail. However, I always regretted not going and getting the blackwatch plaid version of it before it sold out. I looked in other stores for a similar version but none came close, so eventually I decided to improvise.
I went to a fabric store, found the plaid section, resisted picking up every pattern there was, used my original scarf as a template, and got the heck out of there. 


I think it measured out to be about 1.4 meters long...and then however wide the roll of fabric was.
Specific, I know.


$17 later and about 15 minutes spent pulling threads to fray the edges, I had a scarf.
I think it turned out pretty well, all things considered.
There you have it, my kind of DIY.

 Jacket: Danier Leather // Chambray: Old Navy  // Leggings: Calvin Klein // Boots: Payless //
Bag: Danier Leather // Bracelets: J.Crew and J.Crew Factory // Watch: Micheal Kors

Love your non-crafty friend,

16 comments:

  1. DANG, I can't believe you made this!! For a second, I thought you actually bought the Zara scarf. I am going to have to find some fabric and try it, and then I could have all the plaid patterns that my little heard desires! :D

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely give it a shot! There's so much fabric to choose from!

      Delete
  2. You MADE a scarf!?!! WHAT?!!? I can barely make a meal... You rock!!!

    -Kate
    www.theflorkens.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it!!! That scarf look amazing! May have to try this!!

    <3 Shannon
    upbeatsoles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should for sure, it was a really easy project! :)

      Delete
  4. This came out great! Can't believe you did it yourself so cool!!

    Xoxo,
    Kira
    Confessionsofamontessorian.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know you claim not to be a crafty person, but to even think to go out and buy fabric to make a scarf IS actually a very crafty thing to do.

    It turned out perfectly, so awesome job with that. I may steal the idea...

    xoxo Jackie
    SomethingAboutThat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good idea! Never thought of just buying fabric and making my own scarf. Duh! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh i love it!! i am a little obsessed with plaid this season! a scarf is perfect for me because plaid and maternity really don't work!

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute!! I think I wear plaid every day right now! I hope the trend continues into the spring!! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha Ashton! I seriously LOL'd at "and got the heck out of there"! Fabric stores can be so amazingly overwhelming!! You did a great job, and I love that you've inspired so many to think outside the box and save some money! GREAT JOB!

    ReplyDelete