Friday, September 13, 2013

Feeling Overdressed at Work and Fall Favorites

Happy Friday friends!

Today I'm going to talk about something that bothers me about my office job.
 Let me start off by saying that no one in my office ever looks like a slob by any means, but no one is really on the same level as me when it comes to dressing for work. For the guys, it's black pants and golf shirts. For the ladies it's also black pants, but maybe with a cardigan or some sort of printed blouse. 
There's maybe one or two other gals in my office that wear bright colors. One of them has great taste, I see her in Stella and Dot jewelry sometimes and she has an amazing collection of jewel tone blouses that I would love to steal. The other one seems to shop exclusively at Gap as she has lots of nice blazers...in fact I saw her wearing this one and immediately went out and bought it for myself.
Anyway, to get to the point, I always feel very overdressed at work.

My mom has always said that it's better to be overdressed than underdressed, and while I agree, sometimes it is tough to show up to work and feel like I stick out like a sore thumb.
On more than one occasion I have shown up with my hair curled or wearing a bright colored top with a statement necklace and people will say: "My, you're dressed up today."
Now I know it's not really a negative comment, but at the same time it makes me feel like I look ridiculous, even if I don't.

A part of me wants to just ignore it and continue wearing my mint blazers and my giant flower necklaces to work, buuuuut a stronger part of me continually dresses down.
Anyone else feel the same way?

Anyway - on to the good stuff.
This outfit combines my two favorite things about fall: comfy, oversized, open knit sweaters and red.
It is also an outfit I assembled pretty much completely of steals from Winners. As I am still going strong on No Spend September, everything I am wearing here is from last season, but there's lots of similar stuff in the stores right now! 

Sweaters: Winners find (old) (similar, similar) / Pants: Nine West via Winners (old) / Watch: Fossil / Bracelets: Joe Fresh  (old) and vintage / Bag: Louis Vuitton / Shoes: Impo via Winners (similar, similar)




Decided to include a full shot of the shoes. I am in love with them. They were $40 at Winners and I think they're the perfect fall heel.


The best part of this? I would wear this to work.

Have a fab weekend!

Photography by Kimberley Massey.

3 comments:

  1. Hitting home with this one! I'm thinking you inspire the drab drones to dress more expressively! You keep being you and being fabulous and fashion forward and eventually the bar will be raised until the tables are turned and everyone will feel more inclined to put a little more effort into their appearance so they can fit in with you and Miss JewelTops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is why you're my favorite! I will keep this is mind. <3

      Delete
  2. You must work for the government, because I feel the SAME way! I often just dress down, but then end up regretting it. LOOOOOVE those shoes btw! So hawt!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete