I'm taking a break from posting an outfit today to talk about current trends that simply don't work for me.
This is not to say that I don't like the following list of things or that I don't think it looks good on other people (quite the opposite, actually), but instead that I have tried to work these things into my wardrobe or beauty routine and failed miserably...thus coming to the conclusion that they are "things I don't do."
1. Bold Lip Colour
Try as I might, I can not wear lipstick. I buy it, I try shades my mom has, I get people at makeup counters to put it on for me...and as soon as I look in the mirror I'm immediately like "CLOWN FACE."
I don't have much for lips actually...my top lip is pretty small...a trait I inherited from my dads side of the family...but even so, whenever I put on lipstick, I feel like it makes them look like they are taking up half of my face.
Instead, I stick to the subtle "balm" lip shades. My favorite is the Loreal Colour Riche Balm.
Maybe a day will come when I can wear bold lip color proudly, but until that day comes I will have to continue ogling other people who can pull it off.
Such as my beautiful friend Ray!
2. Critter Sweaters
I beg you all to not come running at me with pitchforks for this one...but for some reason I just can't get on board with animal sweaters. I would estimate that half of the people I follow on Instagram wear critter sweaters from Target, J.Crew, Old Navy, etc. so I see a wide range of them daily.
I think they look adorable on the people I have seen wearing them (like Bethany for example) but they are just not something I can work. I tried on the infamous J.Crew Factory Hen Sweater last time I was at the factory store...and even though I loved the material and would have got it for around $30 after discounts, I didn't go for it.
I like critters of all kinds in real life but for some reason I just can't rock them on my sweaters.
I think the only one I would wear is the Scottie Dog one from C. Wonder because if my having two Scottish Terriers didn't make it obvious enough, I think Scotties are the best.
But, C. Wonder doesn't offer international shipping so I haven't bothered pulling the trigger on it because it would probably cost an arm and a leg for me to get my hands on it.
3. Loafers
Every shoe store I walk into has loafers left and right, leading me to turn and run.
I have seen them on a lot of people and many of them make them look cute and casual, but any time I have put them on my feet I just feel like I borrowed my grandma's slippers.
I love flats, in fact I have so many pairs that my boyfriend built me two shoe racks in my closet to keep them in (luckily he never opens the trunk of my car because that's where I store the other half of my collection), but for some reason I can't add a pair of loafers to my hoard.
If anyone ever forced me into a pair of them, I would probably go with leopard print ones.
This is not to say that I don't like the following list of things or that I don't think it looks good on other people (quite the opposite, actually), but instead that I have tried to work these things into my wardrobe or beauty routine and failed miserably...thus coming to the conclusion that they are "things I don't do."
1. Bold Lip Colour
Try as I might, I can not wear lipstick. I buy it, I try shades my mom has, I get people at makeup counters to put it on for me...and as soon as I look in the mirror I'm immediately like "CLOWN FACE."
I don't have much for lips actually...my top lip is pretty small...a trait I inherited from my dads side of the family...but even so, whenever I put on lipstick, I feel like it makes them look like they are taking up half of my face.
Instead, I stick to the subtle "balm" lip shades. My favorite is the Loreal Colour Riche Balm.
My three favorite shades are Tender Mauve, Nourishing Nude and Rose Elixir.
It goes on nice and adds just a little bit of colour...plus it makes my lips look shiny and keeps them moisturized.Maybe a day will come when I can wear bold lip color proudly, but until that day comes I will have to continue ogling other people who can pull it off.
Such as my beautiful friend Ray!
2. Critter Sweaters
I beg you all to not come running at me with pitchforks for this one...but for some reason I just can't get on board with animal sweaters. I would estimate that half of the people I follow on Instagram wear critter sweaters from Target, J.Crew, Old Navy, etc. so I see a wide range of them daily.
I think they look adorable on the people I have seen wearing them (like Bethany for example) but they are just not something I can work. I tried on the infamous J.Crew Factory Hen Sweater last time I was at the factory store...and even though I loved the material and would have got it for around $30 after discounts, I didn't go for it.
I like critters of all kinds in real life but for some reason I just can't rock them on my sweaters.
I think the only one I would wear is the Scottie Dog one from C. Wonder because if my having two Scottish Terriers didn't make it obvious enough, I think Scotties are the best.
But, C. Wonder doesn't offer international shipping so I haven't bothered pulling the trigger on it because it would probably cost an arm and a leg for me to get my hands on it.
3. Loafers
Every shoe store I walk into has loafers left and right, leading me to turn and run.
I have seen them on a lot of people and many of them make them look cute and casual, but any time I have put them on my feet I just feel like I borrowed my grandma's slippers.
I love flats, in fact I have so many pairs that my boyfriend built me two shoe racks in my closet to keep them in (luckily he never opens the trunk of my car because that's where I store the other half of my collection), but for some reason I can't add a pair of loafers to my hoard.
If anyone ever forced me into a pair of them, I would probably go with leopard print ones.
Those are my top three. There are more things I could list, but these are the things I seem to see on the daily that I just "don't do."
Anyone else have a "don't do" list? What are your top three?
Let me know!





I agree with you on the critter sweaters. They are adorable but I don't really see them as being something I can keep and wear for at least a couple of years. It's much harder to convince yourself to spend $30 on something you know you'll only wear for a few months.
ReplyDeleteI'm still considering getting a loafer, but like you, I love flats and the fact that they can be dressed up or down. I'm not really sure how that will work with loafers. I might end up borrowing a pair (and eventually stealing forever) from my sister to see how I like them without having to shell out money for them.
Glad I'm not the only one resisting the critter movement! They were around last year and now they are back in full force this year...I'm interested to see if they will be back again next year or if they will fade out haha!
DeleteHope you have better luck with the loafers than me!
Yes! Agree! I can't do lip colors either for the same reason you can't. I have small lips so I feel like it just looks goofy. Wish I could rock a bold lip, but I feel so awkward and blah.
ReplyDeleteAlso, the critter sweaters. Just stop. I can't do it either. I don't mind graphic sweaters, but I feel like these girls look like they're 12 with these animals. No no no.
Yea, not sure why I can't wear lipstick....I look in the mirror and it just looks so unnatural! Same thing goes for using an eyebrow pencil...I have tried it a couple of times even just a TINY TINY bit to fill in the gaps and for some reason even the slightest change makes me feel like I have Borat eyebrows.
DeleteGlad I have you on team "say no to animal sweaters."
I fill in my brows just because they are very light, but that took me a while to get used to as well. Now I feel naked when I don't fill them in. But yours are dark so that's a little different. Mine are almost invisible, haha.
DeleteI got them filled in as a teenager at the Clinique counter. I looked like a clown. They made them huge and dark. It was awful.
Loafers. humph. My friends tease me with loafers as (to me personally) they're one step up from crocs.
ReplyDeleteTHEY ARE THOUGH. +1 on that.
DeleteOkay, I must confess I wasn't a fan of the critter sweaters initially. I thought it has something my preschooler would wear but I own the fox from ON and the bird from target. Two is my limit, but it's a fun trend. But I'm with you on bold lip and loafers. Why is everyone wearing slippers?
ReplyDeleteI have seen you wear them and you look really cute. I put them on and it immediately knocks 5 years off my age which to some might sound great but...for me it's not in a good way hahahaha.
DeleteAmen on the slippers.
Hey Girlie! This post makes me so smiley!! I know exactly how you feel, but not about the things you wrote about, too funny! Thanks so much for featuring me as a "success" story for bold lips, its my current obsession lol :-* I also have the hedgehog sweater and a bird one from ON, as well as pairs of leopard and red suede loafers, and while I love them and they work for me, I appreciate and know that not all trends are for everyone and it is important to stay true to your style as trends come and go every season. Personally, I am saying no to leather pants/skirts/leggings and over the knee boots, and I am a-okay with it!
ReplyDeletexo,
Ray
Four Season Fabulous
Sorry I didn't see your comment sooner lady! I glazed over it some how.
DeleteLike I said I think some people look super cute in animal sweaters and you are one of them! Plus if it makes you happy then wear whatever you want! I just feel bad for the poor critters that get distorted by my chest. ;)
Also glad you are a bold lip success story. Maybe I'll get there some day!
I don't do the loafers or the animal sweaters, but I definitely do bold, bright lipstick. I have rather full lips--and fuchsia for some reason looks very "natural" with my skin tone, so that's what I go with! But I have seen it look a little out of place on others. I guess it's just whatever fits with your style!
ReplyDeleteFor sure it is - I'm jealous that you can rock bright lipstick! I can safely say I haven't found a shade to go with my skin tone...but I've never thought about that as a factor before...so maybe there still is one out there that will work for me!
DeleteI just love this post! There are so many of these trends that I feel like don't fit me or my personality well. I can't do peplums. I bought a peplum shirt and gave it a valiant effort, but it just looks silly on me. I've also tried the critter sweaters - I have OOD, obsessive owl disorder - so I tried on the cutest owl sweater and owl button down at JC Penney, but it looked absolutely ridiculous on me. I looked like someone's grandmother! I find my face is too pale for bold lips so I stick to sheer, neutral colors like you. And I'm sorry, but I just think loafers are ugly. The styles out now look like something Hugh Hefner would be sporting at the Playboy mansion! Haha... I just can't do it! :)
ReplyDeleteHahaha...I am with you on the loafers girl.
DeleteI'm really glad so many people agree with my picks...or at least have certain things they are willing to admit don't work for them! I know how you feel about peplum...l have tried and tried to find a top or dress that works on me and it just doesn't!
Oh well, I'm sure there's things we love that other people hate. Just how it goes. ;)
Your picks for the L'Oreal lip balms are some of my faves too! I only ever do a bolder lip for blog photos since it barely shows up in pics lol! And I happen to be wearing the hen sweater today with loafers ;)
ReplyDeletexo Bethany
www.perfectlycoutured.com