Happy New Year everyone! I hope everyone had a fabulous time celebrating!
2013 was a great year for me, and it flew by. I graduated from university, I got my first big kid job almost right out of school, my boyfriend and I moved into our house, I learned a lot about myself and the kinds of people I want to have in my life and made changes for the better, and of course, I started this blog!
I don't usually make any concrete New Years resolutions, but I think if I write them down here where people might actually read them, it will hold mTe more accountable!
I have been thinking about all of these for a while now, but seeing as it's a new year and it's the perfect time to start fresh, I am putting all of them into motion starting right now.
1. Be Less Lazy
This is something that is easy to change, but I seriously have to commit to it. It's laziness that causes my closet to spill over into every room in our house. It happens like this: I get home from work, I throw my keys and my bag (and scarf and mitts if it's cold out) on the kitchen counter, and then I take off all of my jewelry and leave it sitting there beside my purse. I don't know why, but after wearing it all for 10 hours, I just want to take everything off because it feels heavy. So I just leave it there and then raid the fridge or pour myself some wine and wander off. Then it stays on the counter for days and gets hidden under the mail or whatever else. Then then next time I want to wear it, I can't find it and I panic thinking I've lost it somewhere. Same thing happens with my bags...I switch bags like three times a week, and instead of just putting bag I'm switching out of back in my closet, it stays by the back door or in the hall closet or hanging off the back of one of the chairs in the kitchen.
So, I have to just start sucking it up and going straight upstairs and putting everything away as soon as I get home instead of just slothing in the door the same way every day.
2. Be More Organized
This ties in with resolution #1. I think if I just took the time to put things away, everything would be more orderly. I have a huge closet and lots of room to store my jewelry, so really I have no excuse for how disorganized my stuff gets sometimes.
3. Stop Using / Pay Off My Credit Card
This one shouldn't be a problem, I just need to budget properly and actually do it. I don't owe that much on it, but I seem to use it for silly things like paying for gas at the pump quickly and ordering things online, when I could be using my bank card or Paypal to do this most of the time. I recently set up my online banking so that I can pay my cell phone bill, so I don't even need to use my Visa card for that.
No sense paying interest anymore if I don't have to be! It's such a waste.
4. Lose Weight
Yes, this is resolution is on almost everyone's list, but for me, it's a must. I started fresh on January 1 last year and lost almost 20 lbs just by changing my eating habits, and it felt amazing! But, I went through a few emotionally tough times this year like studying for final exams and writing term papers (the last ones of my life!) and going through tough times with friends. Instead of handling these things like an adult, I ate my way through them.Plus, the holidays are always tough for me. I can't say no to handfuls of Rolo pretzel bites, shortbread cookies and cocktails.
I'm the heaviest I have ever been in my life and it's time to make a change. I'm not unhappy with how I look and I don't believe anyone has to be a certain weight to be beautiful, but I want to feel comfortable in my clothes again and I just want to feel healthy. I haven't felt energized or good in a long time, and that's reason enough for me to make some changes.
5. Spend Less
Some of my friends on Instagram are doing a little something called the "2014 Closet Remix Challenge" where they shop their closets for as long as they can. That's right...no spending! I'm going try give it a shot for January and see how it goes. I'd love to say "six months with no spending!" but lets be honest here, this is me, and I love shopping. But I'm going to be realistic and say that I am for sure going to spend less! I'm starting by unsubscribing to the mailing lists from J.Crew, Old Navy, and the 100 others that tempt me on the daily.
These are my five New Years resolutions! Wish me luck.
I would love to hear yours!
If we have the same ones, hopefully we can support each other this year.
All the best to you in 2014!


Pretty much all my New Year Resolution too!!! Good luck girly!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much! Same to you. :)
DeleteI'm sharing three out of your five! I also need to pay off my credit card (i won't bother saying i'll stop using it because I know it won't happen but I'm hoping to pay off more than I spend). Rather than saying I want to lose weight, I just want to make the change to exercising more. I gained back all the weight I lost in college when I started grad school and life became more stressful and I haven't done anything about it (three years later) so I would like to get into the habit of working out at least a few times a week. Finally, definitely want to spend less! Creating a list of things I need/want to fill holes in my closet has helped tone me down but I want to be even better at it and shop with more purpose. Good luck with your resolutions! :)
ReplyDeleteThe credit card one is gonna be tough for me too but hopefully I can at least make some progress and change my spending habits!
DeleteHope you can get motivated to get back to working out! I need to do this same, I feel bad for my gym membership haha!
I love the idea about the list for your closet. I need to do the same thing. I realized the other day that I have four sweaters that are almost exactly the same color...it was crazy!
Good luck with yours too!
Wow, I don't usually make resolutions, but I feel like these should be my resolutions for the most part.
ReplyDeleteLaziness is a problem of mine, especially after working all day. I find I throw things into piles and don't really take care of them until the weekend. It's not good!
I'm also at my heaviest weight too, but for me, that goes hand in hand with laziness, rather than poor eating choices. I have more recently started paying more attention, so it's not so much a New Year's thing for me.
Also, I really need to shop less! I know it's not realistic to give up shopping, but cutting back is definitely do-able. I did a lot of shopping this month, so I'm going to try to avoid it in January. The good thing is, I don't need much until spring.
Sorry for the essay of a comment... but Happy New Year!
xoxo Jackie
SomethingAboutThat
I totally am on board with you with the paying off a credit card. I tend to over use most of mine...bad Kira very bad. So this is something I wish to improve in 2014. I too made a list of things I hope to accomplish this year. I wish you luck with yours!
ReplyDeleteXoxo,
Kira
Keepingupwithkira.com
These are awesome! If you want some tips, I've been doing the budget related stuff on my blog and if you go to the Finance Tab youll find lots of helpful articles, I promise!!
ReplyDeleteGood luck!
XO,
Ellen
www.askawayblog.com
Your goals are pretty much my goals...this is why we are friends <3<3<3
ReplyDeleteI'm going to go not be lazy now :D
xoxo
Splendid. Sometimes, all it takes is a small deed or act to veer into another course and a new lifestyle. Simply pausing to think of what's in a fridge and a table can really start you off. That's one step towards planning on what to put in there instead, and what to cook and eat for your further nourishment. I believe you'll achieve these all with flying colors, on the way to an even better 2015.
ReplyDeleteChad @ Fresh and Healthy Brands