Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Pop of Plaid

So...it's really cold here. 
But luckily cold doesn't have to mean frumpy!
To stay warm while still looking pulled together, I always go for layers. But, I never used to. Whenever I used to layer shirts under sweaters, I felt stuffy, uncomfortable and I imagined that the look tacked 10 years onto my age. 
After tons of trial and error, I learned that not every sweater and every shirt work for layering together. My problem was that my button downs and sweaters were either too big or too small. Sure, the yellow Gap sweater I had found for $5 at the thrift store paired with my black gingham shirt was good in theory...but in reality the sweater was just too big and too thick of a knit for it to work.

 My advice if you still don't like to layer, is to simply try it with different items. Try sweaters with thinner material, and maybe try a size up in your button down so it's long enough to pull out the sleeves and roll them once over your sweater. That's what worked for me!


I always used to avoid wearing white/cream colors in winter, but this year I have made a point of giving it a shot. Truth be told, I like it! I don't think I'll go as far as to put on white shoes or white pants, but I think a white blouse or sweater looks nice in the snow!




Sweater: Old Navy // Shirt: J.Crew Factory (sold out) (Option) (Option) // Leggings: Joe Fresh // Bag: Louis Vuitton //
Necklace: J.Crew Factory (old) (Option) (Option) // Watch: Kate Spade //
Bracelet: GroopDealz (Same) // Boots: Payless (sold out) (Option)


Have a great week, and if you're stuck in a cold snap, stay warm!

5 comments:

  1. stay warm, laying is prefect for winter time

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love layering plaid, such a great look! I'm a new follower on GFC and am so glad I discovered your blog - would love for you to check out mine! :)

    - Kathleen
    http://www.fashionablelaughter.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute layers! And oh, how I adore those accessories esp. your arm candy <3

    Visiting you from Paige's linkup. By the way, I'd love if you can drop by my blog and check out my latest. www.fashchronicles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am totally obsessed with your blog! So glad I found it. LOVE your style!! I just realized I follow you on IG too and love your IG feed! Looking forward to reading more on here.

    Oh and I love this outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You always look so polished and put together! Love that bag too! Thanks for linking up with Stylish Tuesday!

    xo, Paige

    ReplyDelete