Friday, February 28, 2014

Gingham Problems

Happy Friday!

Today I'm going to talk about good ol' gingham.
Besides layering it underneath sweaters and just wearing it alone with a pair of jeans, I have always had a terrible time trying to style said pattern. I have three button downs with the same pattern in three colours...black, green and pink...and the one I'm wearing today in a larger pattern in navy blue. 
I think the black and pink gingham shirts have made it out of the closet once or twice each...zero times for the green (sorry buddy)...and I've worn this one a bunch of times.
I always just felt like I couldn't style the others. It was frustrating.
And then all of a sudden I realized...I didn't really like them.
They're not my style.
No wonder I couldn't make them work.
I feel like this should have been more obvious to me sooner, but hey, I'm here now.
Sometimes you just have to cut your losses and move on, so I am embracing the gingham I like and tossing the ones I don't. 

Here's one I like:


I find this shirt easy to style because I think it's a comfortable yet versatile pattern. It looks good layered with a sweater for a professional look, but it also looks good casual with a pair of jeans.



Can we talk about this bag? It is one of my favourites. It was my graduation gift from my parents - my mom picked it up at the Michael Kors outlet store in my city - and because I knew there was no way in hell I was going to be returning it, I let the receipt get lost in my house. 
After having countless people ask me the name of the bag and me failing to be able to tell them because I had no idea, I finally found it on eBay a few weeks ago.
It is the Fulton Large Top Zip Leather Satchel in brown. 
Me and Fulton are best friends.


Jacket: Bluenotes (Option) (Option) // Shirt: Old Navy (Option) // Denim: Ricki's //
Necklace: Mindy Mae's Market // Bag: Michael Kors // Boots: Spring

Hope everyone has a great weekend, and overall more success with gingham than me.


3 comments:

  1. Loooooving this outfit. I may or may not own a version of every single piece you're wearing, so I may have to be a copycat and don the same outfit tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely outfit. I had the same problems with my gingham shirts. I talk about this in a post I did on different ways I wore one. My problem was fit because of my body shape so I almost always weat them layered. I got rid of one.
    k at www.beautystyleandgrowth.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete